Sunday, September 22, 2013

Great Week!

Hello!

 

Looking over my journal from the past week, there is a lot to be desired. This is what it looks like:

 

September 10, 2013

I've decided that maybe I'll start writing in my journal in the morning during breakfast, because sometimes at night I am just way too tired.

 

September 11, 2013

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

 

September 12-16

Nothing.

 

Whoops. So much for that little goal. I only made it two days! I guess we're back to nights on that one. Ha.

 

Besides actually writing in my journal, though, I think the biggest lesson that I learned this week is that I need to stop babying my greenies so much. Last Monday night we taught a married couple the restoration, but we didn't know that we were going to be teaching them the night before when we planned, so my companions didn't have a specific part assigned to them or anything. Knowing that they would be nervous and look at me with those deer in the headlight eyes, I ended up giving the entire lesson without even once looking at them. Oops. After that I realized that I've been too protective to let them do anything! Neither of them ever wants to talk unless they have a pre-defined, practiced part, because they worry that they don't know the words or the people won't understand their Spanish. Admittedly, that sometimes happens and I have to re-say what they just said, but I think it's important that they put themselves out there so that they can grow.

 

After that experience I started to step in a little less, and one of those times was when we were knocking doors the next day. We knocked one door and Hermana Johnson started talking to him (in English, because he was American). He seemed interested, so she said a little more and then got scared and looked to me to take over. I didn't do it though! I just let her struggle and finish and then we left. She was a bit upset that I hung her out to dry, but I feel like they need to start taking a little more control and independence, so I was ok with it. I'm going to start pushing them even more to talk even when they don't feel ready, I think. They get mad, but they'll get over it :) Mostly I just don't want to allow them to rely on me so much that when they move on to their next companion they still don't have the confidence so take the lead in teaching situations.

 

Other than that, it was a good week. We knocked lots and lots of doors and met some good potential, so I'm happy with it.

 

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!!!


 

Have a great week, all.

 

I LOVE YOU!!!

 

Hermana Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment